Let´s talk Z-BOXes | Eduseries episode 2
Episode 2 of our new educational content series is going to be all about Z-BOXes. A couple years ago when we introduced these revolutionary self-service delivery boxes, we had no idea how much popularity they would gain in such a short period of time. So let´s dive in!
Where it all began
We launched our first Z-BOX back in 2020 in the Czech Republic. Back then, box delivery was already pretty common, so we went the extra step and developed a fully solar-powered, displayless solution that would shift the limits of parcel delivery even further.
Since then, we grew our network extensively to more than 5 500 Z-BOX locations and expanded the product across 4 of our international entities. Today, Z-BOXes can be found in the Czech Republic (where we have over 3 000 locations), Slovakia (where we extended our network to over 1 500 Z-BOXes), Hungary (where, especially during the past year, Z-BOXes became very popular and now, there are more than 700 accessible Z-BOX locations), and Romania (where we are entering this chapter with 20 Z-BOXes).
“We are always looking for ways to increase customer convenience and contactless parcel pick-up is a great opportunity. Our innovative Z-BOXes can be placed by office buildings, in shopping centers, or by grocery stores; and their installation is relatively easy. That´s why our Z-BOX network is constantly expanding.”
Simona Kijonková, CEO & Founder of Packeta
As quick and easy as it gets
Efficient, modern, and sustainable. Packeta delivery solutions always aim for simplicity and customer comfort. With Z-BOXes, customers have the luxury to pick up their parcels whenever they want. Z-BOX is the ideal delivery solution for those who have to work or study late, for those in small towns, or for those who just want to have maximum freedom when picking up their parcel. Why?
📦 Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
📦 Contactless solution, everything is sorted via Packeta mobile app
📦 Entirely self-sufficient
📦 Fully solar-powered
The installation of a Z-BOX is relatively simple which allows such rapid network growth. The size of a Z-BOX varies depending on the number of columns—2, 4, 6, or even 12. This makes them flexible to different space conditions and requirements.
Over the years, we´ve also established cooperations with several business partners, at whose locations Z-BOXes are regularly installed because of high demand. Such partnerships include for example popular grocery chains Lidl or Tesco, retail stores such as Okay or CPI, as well as very important local power plants Temelín and Dukovany in Czechia.
Launching our Z-BOX network truly opened many doors for us. They are an irreplaceable delivery solution, especially in small towns where there are not many opportunities for a store-based parcel pick-up establishment. Now, thanks to Z-BOXes, customers can have their parcels delivered to a close-by location, sustainably, and with no fuss. And the fact that they can pick-up their parcels absolutely whenever it suits them is only a bonus 😉
How exactly does it work
Having expanded our network significantly over the past couple of years, this year we are placing more focus on perfecting every single aspect of the product. So, at the beginning of 2023, we launched two more services that are now available at Z-BOXes in 3 countries—parcel sharing and shipping via Z-BOXes.
If Z-BOXes are contactless, how exactly does one pick up a parcel?
- When notified that your parcel is ready for pick-up, you can set off to the Z-BOX at your chosen location.
- At the Z-BOX, it´s necessary to enable Bluetooth and location services on your phone.
- Everything else is sorted through Packeta mobile app. The app pairs itself with the Z-BOX via Bluetooth and guides you through the pick-up process on your smartphone.
- In one click, the locker that stores your parcel opens, and you can happily take it home.
We reacted to customer feedback and added the option to share one’s parcel with any other user in our app. Customers can now have their parcels picked up by somebody else when they can´t or don´t have the time to do so. All it takes is sharing the parcel data through Packeta mobile app with the particular user.
The parcel information will then be synced with that user’s phone, including the tracking number and the password for pick-up, which enables them to pick up the parcel for the original recipient even from our displayless Z-BOXes.
PS, we have a thorough step-by-step manual described in THIS article.
Customers can now use our contactless Z-BOXes for parcel pick-up as well as parcel drop-off when shipping via our C2C solution through Packeta mobile app. It´s simple and saves lots of time! The entire process of parcel drop-off is sorted in a few simple steps and all you need for it is (as usual) our app, enabled Bluetooth, and location services.
Let´s explore it step by step
- Download the newest version of Packeta mobile app in the AppStore or Google Play.
- Pack the parcel you are shipping—ideally in a cardboard box.
- Create a shipping order in the app by clicking on “Ship a parcel”. After you pay for shipping, click on “Go to parcels”.
- Here, click on “Parcel drop-off” a select the “At Z-BOX” option.
- A 6-digit password will pop up. Write this password legibly on the parcel. If the parcel is wrapped in plastic, use a permanent marker or write the password on a note and attach it with a piece of clear tape.
- Before you head to the Z-BOX, go to the “Pick-up points” section (pin pictogram) to locate your nearest Z-BOX, and select one with available capacity.
- Set off to the Z-BOX.
- At the Z-BOX, make sure you have mobile data turned on and enabled Bluetooth and location services.
- The app will locate the Z-BOX you are standing at and pair it with your phone.
- By clicking on “Select locker”, view the parcel lockers that are currently available. Choose one that fits the size of your parcel.
- Click on “Open Z-BOX” in the app.
- Insert your parcel into the locker that opens, close it and confirm by clicking on “Parcel inserted”.
- Confirm once more. And you´re done!
For those who prefer visual content, here´s our video manual 👇
Interested in some fun facts? 🙂
- 1 courier daily fills 30 Z-BOXes with parcels.
- It takes 15 hours on average for a customer to pick up their parcel since receiving the initial notification.
- Over less than 2 years, we´ve managed to build the biggest network of automatic delivery boxes in Czechia.
- And, we´re able to install 20 Z-BOXes a day!
A displayless solution
Our Z-BOXes are displayless because delivery boxes equipped with displays are at a much higher risk of limited functionality in hot weather. The display can be unreadable in direct sunlight and can malfunction due to overheating. With no display, the risk of malfunctioning in extreme weather is much lower.
Looking red, thinking green 🌿
Sustainable delivery solutions are the future of e-commerce. Respecting the environment and creating ways to lower our carbon footprint is a very important pillar for us, especially walking into 2023 when the state of our planet is at risk. Z-BOXes portray a parcel delivery option that is friendly towards the environment as well as beneficial for our customers.
Z-BOXes are innovative delivery locker boxes. They represent a highly #sustainable tech solution because they are fully solar-powered. And what´s more, they are also entirely self-sufficient, and contactless—all that´s needed to open them is our app 📲 Packeta Z-BOXes are sustainable thanks to running on solar energy which they absorb by solar panels located on the roof, they require no electricity and do not need to be plugged in in order to function.
You can read more about our mission and journey toward sustainability here.